Shells With Gorgonzola-Creamed Greens & Roasted Squash is one powerhouse of a pasta dish.
The bold flavors of Gorgonzola, sage and spinach are tempered by the sweet squash and cream. Every bite has so much goodness going on. Yum.
Shells With Gorgonzola-Creamed Greens & Roasted Squash
1 1/2 pounds cubed butternut squash
2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 pound soft Gorgonzola dolce
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped sage
Grated or ground nutmeg, to taste
8 cups coarsely chopped spinach and escarole combined
1 pound ridged pasta shells
Blue cheese crumbles, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450℉.
2. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until the squash is tender and golden in spots, about 18 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water then drain.
4. In a large saucepan, heat remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Add the butter then the onion and garlic. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and Gorgonzola and stir until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano, sage and nutmeg then season with pepper.
5. In a food processor, pulse the spinach and escarole until finely chopped. Add to the sauce and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly and the greens are tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Add the pasta and the squash to the pan with the sauce. Toss to combine, adding cooking water as needed to thin the sauce. Garnish with crumbled blue cheese if you like.
Serves 4 to 6
Recipe from Everyday With Rachael Ray Magazine
A dreamy dinner deserves a dreamy song.
Beauty Sleep is a new band out of Belfast. ‘The Dark’ is their first single.
Check out Beauty Sleep on Facebook where you can keep tuned on where to buy their music.