This is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile. ‘When your jam comes on but your friend isn’t feeling it’.
I always forget how much I love pound cake. The dense, buttery classic gets a hint of lemon here both in the batter and in the tangy lemon curd glaze.
I followed a recipe from Southern Living Magazine which called for only cooling the cake for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan and brushing with the lemon curd.
I am a pretty experienced baker, but also pretty dumb sometimes. Against my instinct that 15 minutes was way too early to try and lift the warm cake out of the tube pan, I tried anyway.
Pound cake…coming apart…in pieces…
So I put it all together like a puzzle and drizzled on the lemon curd. It tasted amazing if not the most beautiful cake to look at.
My advice would be to pour the lemon curd glaze over the cake while in the pan, then unmold when the cake has time to cool, about an hour.
Lemon Curd Pound Cake
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Lemon Curd Glaze (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Beat first 2 ingredients at medium speed with an electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow of the yolk disappears.
4. Sift together flour and next 2 ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
5. Stir in lemon zest and next 2 ingredients.
6. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (12 CUP) tube pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
8. Remove cake from pan to wire rack (or wait a bit if you think it will be too difficult to unmold…I would wait about an hour). Brush warm glaze over top and sides of cake. Cool completely before serving.
Lemon Curd Glaze
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small heavy saucepan. Add egg and stir until blended.
2. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and begins to bubble around the edges. Use immediately.
Makes about 3/4 cup
Recipes from Southern Living
Not sure this would be the cockatoo’s jam, but ‘Hyperbole’ is weird and wild if not danceable. Experimental at its best.
“Take a bath”
Check out You Bred Raptors? on the band’s Website. You can buy their music on Bandcamp which also lists a bunch of upcoming US tour dates.