If the title of today’s recipe didn’t make you smile, then that grinning possum surely must have. What a cheeky looking little guy.
These blondies are incredible. Salty-sweet caramel soaked almonds top a dense cake layer rich with the nutty flavor of the browned butter. Yum.
Brown Butter Blondies With Caramel Almonds
1 cup unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
3 cups sliced almonds
½ cup butter, cubed
½ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup honey
⅓ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Continue cooking until butter is a golden brown and gives off a nutty smell, around 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a heatproof bowl and let come to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
3. Use an electric mixer to beat brown butter with brown sugar until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Continue beating until smooth. Fold in flour and salt. Do not overmix.
4. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until middle is set, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the caramel almonds. Toast almonds on a baking sheet in oven until just starting to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
6. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter, sugar, honey and cream. Cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches 116℉ on a candy thermometer, about 7 minutes. Carefully add nuts and stir to coat. Remove from heat.
7. When blondies are done baking, immediately cover with an even layer of the caramel almonds. Bake 10 minutes more. Let cool to room temperature before cutting into squares to serve.
Recipe from The Wall Street Journal
Not a smiling possum but for today’s music we go to Fat Possum (Records, that is). The arresting track “Embarrassing”, from Ontario-based artist Ellis, oozes darkness and the sadness of regret. Making it bearable is her lovely vocals and the swirl of music around it.
“Maybe you were right
when you said I love to play the victim
Maybe you were right
I’m always looking for attention”
Check out Ellis on her Website where you can buy the music.