Are these The Best Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Joy The Baker says so.
I made browned butter chocolate chip cookies once (Brown Butter Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies) and you could really detect the added richness that browning the butter added.
Today’s cookies leave out the chocolate portion which made the brown butter component even more noticeable to me. Every bite explodes with nutty notes and caramel flavor. Additionally, using melted butter in the dough gives the cookies an irresistible crunch.
So, yeah, I’m gonna uphold that as brown butter chocolate chippers go, these are the best.
The Best Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
Coarse sea salt, to sprinkle on top
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add half of the butter. Whisk constantly until brown bits appear on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and let butter cool completely, about 20 minutes.
3. Beat the remaining 1/2 cup butter with the brown sugar for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture is creamy and light.
4. Beat in the vanilla extract and molasses.
5. Pour the cooled brown butter into the bowl, along with the granulated sugar. Beat for 2 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
6. Add the egg and egg yolk, and beat for one minute more.
7. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, beating on low speed just until incorporated.
8. Use a spatula to fold chocolate chips and nuts into the dough.
9. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
10. About 15 minutes before ready to begin baking, preheat oven to 350°F.
11. Scoop the dough in 2 tablespoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 2 inches between the cookies since they’ll spread as they bake.
12. Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
13. Remove from the oven and allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving them them to a rack to cool. Cookies can be stored airtight at room temperature for several days. For longer storage, wrap well and freeze.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Recipe from The Joy the Baker Cookbook
Sounds like Emmy Wildwood could use a cookie.
‘Scream’ is spooky and dark….and really good.
A constant rush
A wicked crush
Oh merry dreadful”