I bet Jack would give a deep meow for some fish.
For a light meal that is rich on flavor try this Pan-Roasted Cod With Brown Butter, Lemon, And Capers. The buttery sauce is brightened with lemon juice and gets zing from capers. Green Beans Gremolata is a simple side that’s a flavor powerhouse all of its own.
Pan-Roasted Cod With Brown Butter, Lemon, And Capers
2 cod fillets, preferably skinned
¾ cup all purpose flour
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Adjust a rack to the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place a 12-inch skillet over high heat and heat for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, spread the flour in a large shallow bowl. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour, then shake gently to remove the excess.
4. Add the oil to the hot skillet. Place fish in the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-high. Brown the fish on one side without turning, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish and immediately place the skillet in the oven. Roast until the fish is firm to the touch, about 8 minutes. Transfer the fish to a platter and keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, as soon as the fish goes into the pan, place the butter in an small skillet and melt it over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook the butter until it browns. This will take about 8 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent it burning. When the butter is browned, remove the skillet from the heat and immediately add the lemon juice, capers, parsley and a pinch of salt.
6. Spoon some of the butter over the fish to serve.
Recipe from The Summer Shack Cookbook by Jasper White
Green Beans Gremolata
1 pound French green beans, trimmed
2 2 cloves garlic, minced
Grated zest from 2 lemons
3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
2½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and blanch them for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender but still crisp.
2. Drain the beans and immediately put them into a bowl of ice water to stop them cooking.
3. For the gremolata, toss the garlic, lemon zest, parsley, Parmesan, and pine nuts in a small bowl and set aside.
4. When ready to serve, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Pat the beans dry and add them to the pan. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring, until coated with olive oil and heated through.
5. Off the heat, add the gremolata to the beans and toss well. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and serve hot.
Serves 4 to 6
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof by Ina Garten
Los Angeles-based trio DWNTWN will be releasing their debut album ‘Racing Time’ in July. “Bloodshot Eyes” is the first single from the album and its great. Energetic, synth-pop at its best.