Jamie Oliver recommends these flaky, meaty, and cheesy rolls of goodness for a picnic. They’re the perfect portable hand food, which makes them terrific for parties, as well. Grilled asparagus decked with mature cheddar is a nice accompaniment and tastes wonderful hot or cold.
2 sheets ready-made puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
12 chipolata sausages or other thin pork sausage
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 cup Parmesan, grated
2 tsp sesame seeds to sprinkle on top (I used black sesame seeds for the contrast)
1. Preheat the oven to 220℃/450℉. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Unroll pastry and cut each sheet in half lengthwise to make four long rectangles. Brush with beaten egg then arrange six sausages down the middle of each rectangle. Sprinkle over the fennel seeds and the Parmesan.
3. Fold the remaining two pastry rectangles over the sausages to make two long rolls and seal the seams with the tines of a fork to create a crimped pattern.
4. Brush tops of pastry with beaten egg and scatter the sesame seeds over top. Cut each roll into serving size pieces.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crunchy. Serve hot or cool.
Makes about 20 small rolls
Grilled Asparagus With Cheddar Cheese
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
Juice of half a lemon
Mature cheddar, shaved
1. Heat a grill pan until very hot. Add asparagus and cook, turning occasionally, until charred and tender.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and turn for a minute.
3. Transfer asparagus to a plate and sprinkle with cheddar.
Recipes from Jamie Oliver’s Meals In Minutes
I love the whimsical name and clever lyrics of this new song by former Spin Doctors’ frontman Chris Barron. How he describes his music: “Think Leonard Cohen meets Jack Johnson in a dive bar that was nice when Cole Porter used to hang out there.”
Check out Chris Barron on his Website. You can buy the music and learn of upcoming shows in the UK on Bandcamp.