My last Taco Bell obsession was their line of Doritos Locos Tacos. As fast food goes, they make a delicious little meal but are pretty messy to eat (not that that ever stood in my way of enjoying them).
Step in the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme. A hexagonal, portable nosh it combines soft and crunchy tortillas, taco seasoned beef, plenty of oozing melted cheese, lettuce, tomato and sour cream all in one neat package.
I found assembling the wraps a bit tricky. There are some step by step photos here. The recipe I followed made it less critical to get the hexagonal shape by using a cut round of tortilla to seal the top. I found the key was to just get the packets sealed as best as possible, then place them, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Once the wraps hit the frying pan they set up and held their shape just fine.
Oh, and did I mention how much I LOVED THESE? Taco heaven.
1 lb ground beef
1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning mix
1 jar nacho cheese or queso dip (I used this chile con queso which is a really good storebought version)
6 burrito-size flour tortillas, plus 2 more to cut circles from
6 tostada shells or corn tortillas (I highly recommend seeking out the tostada shells for ultimate crunch)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 tomato, diced
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the taco seasoning mix and cook according to package directions.
2. Warm the cheese sauce in a microwave-safe bowl.
3. Place flour tortillas on a large plate. Microwave for 20 seconds to warm them. If using corn tortillas instead of tostada shells, heat oven to 400° F. Place corn tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until crispy.
4. Lay one flour tortilla on a work surface. Spread 1/2 cup of taco meat onto the center of the tortilla. Drizzle a few tablespoons of cheese sauce over the meat. Top meat with one tostada shell (or crispy corn tortilla). Spread a thin layer of sour cream over the tostada shell. Top with lettuce, tomato and shredded Mexican cheese.
5. To fold the crunch wrap, start with the bottom of the flour tortilla and fold the edge up over the center. Continue to work your way around, folding the flour tortilla over the center fillings. There will be a spot left open in the center; cut a piece of another flour tortilla and tuck it in the center, so it’s fully covered.
6. Repeat with the remaining 5 tortillas, 5 tostadas and fillings.
7. Spray a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Place one crunchwrap, seam-side down, into the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown. Carefully flip over and cook other side until golden-brown. Repeat process with all crunchwraps.
Makes 6 Crunchwraps
Recipe from Life In The Lofthouse
Oh Sweden! You excel at cranking out danceable songs with insanely catchy hooks.
There is no way I can sit still when ‘Bad Heart’ is playing. Power pop at its most enjoyable.
“I’ve got a bad heart
even though you think I am good”
Check out Caotico on Facebook. You can buy their music here.
Wow, I’ve never been to a Taco Bell, but this looks simple enough to make and sooooo scrumptious!
I highly recommend you give the recipe a try. Everyone here adored them.