I love trying to cook different foods on the grill. I saw this recipe for Grilled Polenta, Cheese And Veggies and knew I had to try it.
No disappointment here. Slices of polenta and cheese, along with a variety of vegetables, are brushed with a mixed herb oil and grilled up for a light and welcome end of the summer meal.
Grilled Polenta, Cheese And Veggies
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, mint and/or parsley)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
Freshly ground pepper
1 bulb fennel, fronds chopped and base cut into 8 wedges
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (with some stems attached)
2 large tomatoes, halved crosswise
4 portobello mushroom caps
1 (1-pound) tube prepared polenta, cut into 8 slices
1/2 pound haloumi cheese, cut into 4 slices (I couldn’t find halloumi, which I adore, so I experimented with thick slices of Parmesan. It was a little messy on the grill, but worth it.)
1. Prepare a grill for indirect heat: For gas, preheat to medium high, then turn off the burners on one side and turn the other burners to medium low. For charcoal, once the coals ash over, push them to one side.
2. Mix the olive oil, herbs, coriander, 1 teaspoon pepper and a handful of fennel fronds in a small bowl.
3. Brush the fennel wedges and broccoli with the herb oil and season with salt. Cook on the cooler side of the grill, turning once, until marked and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. (I used a grill basket). Remove to a platter.
4. Meanwhile, brush tomatoes and mushrooms with the herb oil and season with salt. Grill over direct heat, turning once, until marked and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add to the platter.
5. Brush the polenta and haloumi with the herb oil and grill over direct heat, turning once, until marked, 5 to 10 minutes. Add to the platter. Season with salt and drizzle with any remaining herb oil.
Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine
Here’s some fun, Scottish power pop to blast while the grill fires up.
Check out Be Like Pablo on the band’s Website, where you can buy their music.