Once again I have turned to Pinterest for inspiration in the dinner department.
The recipe that I bookmarked from Pinterest was good, but maybe a tad too healthy for me. So, I made up my own version which is packed with sharp cheddar, some butter and eggs, which gives it a custardy consistency. Mozzarella sprinkled over just before serving adds to the creaminess. If you like a bit of crust to form around the edges, opt for the longer cooking time.
1 lb elbow macaroni
6 Tbs butter, melted
5 cups shredded sharp cheddar (I love Cabot’s Seriously Sharp)
2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. (I cooked these small elbows for 6 minutes since they cook further in the slow cooker). Drain.
2. Transfer macaroni to a large bowl. Add butter and cheddar cheese. Stir well and spoon into a greased 5 or 6 quart slow cooker.
3. Whisk together eggs and evaporated milk and pour over macaroni mixture. Stir to combine.
4. Cook on low heat for 2 to 3 hours. (If you have time, it is helpful to stir once an hour. This better incorporates the butter and keeps it from separating out.)
5. Sprinkle mozzarella over the macaroni and cheese and serve.
I’m enjoying this breezy and light electronic pop.