Feel like transporting yourself to a lovely table in Spain? Make this Rice And Clams In Broth and you are almost there.
Lighter than paella and full of aromatic vegetables that flavor the broth, this is such a nice dinner to change things up.
Preparation is also very simple, always an added bonus.
1/2 cup (4 oz) olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
11 oz (300g) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
pinch of saffron threads
1 lb (500g) cherrystone clams in their shells
1/2 tsp paprika
5 1/2 cups (44 oz) water
2 1/4 cups (1 lb/500g) short-grain rice, such as Valencia or Arborio
1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan. Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic and bell peppers, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the saffron with 2 tablespoons of water and gently crush the saffron threads. Add to the vegetables.
3. Stir in the paprika, the clams, and about 1/2 cup (4 oz) water. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add rice and the remaining water. Season with salt and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Serve with a sprinkle of cracked black pepper. There will a lot of broth in the dish, it shouldn’t all be absorbed.
I chose to play this song today for the Spanish connection, but it really would go with any kind of food.
Soft and beautiful, both Dan Blakeslee’s vocals and the music.
Dan Blakeslee-Your Spanish Scarf
Check out Dan Blakeslee on his Website, where you can learn about upcoming shows in New England and also buy the music.