Just saw this. Sooooo crazy.
This menu is ace for the meat and potato lover.
It is all at once casual and elegant.
It’s Provençal butter melting into tender, grilled beef nestled up to lemony, tender potatoes tossed with salty olives and feta.
It’s highly recommended. :)
1 large garlic clove, minced
4 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped (I didn’t have anchovies on hand, so I used some chopped, roasted red peppers, not in the butter, but scattered over the finished steaks for additional flavor and some color)
1 Tbs capers, drained
2 Tbs minced fresh chives
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
4 hanger steaks, 8 to 10 ounces each (or use skirt or flank steak)
4 Tbs good olive oil
4 tsp herbes de Provence
Kosher salt and coarsely cracked black pepper
1. For the Provençal butter, place the garlic, anchovies, capers, chives, thyme, lemon zest, and pepper in a food processor and pulse the machine a few times to combine. Add the butter and process briefly to combine ingredients. Place the butter mixture on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper and roll it into a log 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 5 inches long, twisting the ends. Store the butter in the refrigerator.
2. Heat a gas or charcoal grill.
3. Drizzle the steaks with 1 tablespoon each of olive oil. Sprinkle each steak with 1 teaspoon of the herbes de Provence and season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. When the grill is hot, cook the steaks for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, turning once, for medium-rare. Place the steaks on a platter, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Slice the steaks crosswise diagonally and serve hot with one or two slices of Provençal butter on top.
Serves 4 to 6
Note: The Provençal butter can be storied in the refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for a few months.
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Back To Basics Cookbook
25g sliced black olives (I used Kalamata)
85g crumbled feta cheese
2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
750g new potatoes or fingerlings, cut if large
1. Boil potatoes in a large pan of salted water for 12 minutes or just until tender.
2. Meanwhile, mash the butter with lemon and oregano and some black pepper.
3. Drain potatoes well, then toss with olives, feta and the lemon butter.
Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine
How about some electronica from Karachi band Basheer And The Pied Pipers, to accompany your meal? (I hear that beef, and barbeque in particular, is very popular in Karachi.)
I love the name of this song.
I really love the lyrics.
“I’ve got places I need to be and
I’ve got things that I need to see and
I’ve got a lot that’s on my plate and
I know you’ve got a lot on your mind
I hope you can find it in your heart to be as indifferent about me as I am to you”