Can I complain for a minute here? I cannot stand my freakin’, poorer than a Charles Dickens’ orphan, internet service. Service. Ha. That’s a laugh.
I know I don’t live in the big city, but the amount of time it takes me to upload a song or photo on this rural connection is ridiculous. I have started to go down to the library and take advantage of their high speed, but some days I need to be at home. Like today.
Well, maybe if we are lucky, upload magic will occur before I have to leave for an afternoon of errands.
Speaking of magic…these pancakes definitely are. Sweet and salty goodness on a plate. Upload rapidly into your mouth for instant happiness.
Pretzel Pancakes with White Chocolate And Caramel sauce
1/2 cup crushed pretzels, divided
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 egg, separated
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a bowl; set aside.
2. Using a mixer, whip egg white in a bowl to soft peaks, set aside.
3. Whisk together egg yolk, milk, and buttermilk in a bowl until frothy. Stir into dry ingredients only until moistened.
4 Let batter stand for 10 minutes.
5. Fold in whipped egg white, stopping when thin, white streaks still remain in the batter.
6. Heat a griddle or nonstick over medium heat; brush with vegetable oil. For each pancake, use 1/3 to 1/4 cup of batter; sprinkle each with some of remaining crushed pretzels. Cook until bubbles form on surface of pancake, about 2 minutes. Flip pancakes, cook until golden, about 2 minutes more.
White Chocolate Sauce ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks, beaten
4 oz white chocolate, chopped
1. Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Whisk a little of the hot cream into the yolks, then return yolk mixture to simmering cream. Continue cooking and whisking until sauce thickens and can coat the back of the spoon.
3. Remove sauce from heat.
4. Stir in white chocolate until melted.
5. Set sauce aside, keep warm.
Caramel Sauce ingredients:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbs water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1. Boil brown sugar and water in a small saucepan 5 minutes, gently swirling occasionally to prevent scorching.
Whisk in cream. (mixture will bubble furiously and begin to harden. Keep whisking, and it will melt again.) Boil mixture 2 more minutes, then whisk in butter until melted.
2. Set sauce aside; keep warm.
To assemble the pancakes, stack a couple on a plate. Drizzle caramel sauce on pancakes. Do the same with the white chocolate. Scatter remaining pretzel pieces on top.
Recipe adapted from Cuisine at Home Magazine
At some point there will be some slow songs to listen to (Obviously, by the time you are reading this). Here they are in all of their slow glory.