Breakfast. Dessert. Snack. Yes.
The other day I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with three very sad bananas. They were ready to get up and walk themselves over to the compost bin if I didn’t perform an intervention.
Then I saw the recipe for these cupcakes over at How Sweet It Is. Jessica topped hers with Avocado Buttercream. I might experiment with that sometime in the future, especially since she showed a photo a day or so later that showed that the icing stayed green.
I thought Pineapple Buttercream sounded pretty sweet. And it was. Just the right thing to top these moist, delicious banana cupcakes.
Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk egg and add brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Add sour cream and melted butter and mix. Stir in dry ingredients, then add mashed bananas and mix until batter comes together. The batter will be thick.
4. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter in liners. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely.
makes 20 cupcakes
Pineapple Buttercream Icing
8 Tbs butter, softened
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
4 to 6 Tbs pineapple juice
Banana Chips for garnish
Candy Eyes and Lips if you need someone to sing with
1. Cream butter in a mixing bowl for 10 seconds. Add sugar gradually.
2. Add 4 Tbs pineapple juice and blend on low until mixture is creamy. If it seems to thick, add the remaining pineapple juice. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat for about a minute.
3. Ice cupcakes as desired. Top with a banana chip.
Recipe quantity doubled from Cupcakes From The Cake Doctor
The Mountain Goats. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Too many. I’ll just share two songs and then you need to go and buy each and every album if you do not own them already.
The latest album by The Mountain Goats is ‘All Eternals Deck’ and it is brilliant. I couldn’t decide which song to choose, so I had to do an eenie meenie miney moe.
The Mountain Goats-Never Quite Free
This song is from the album ‘The Life Of The World To Come’. Yum.
The Mountain Goats-Genesis 3:23
The band has some free downloads and information on where to buy their music here.