Some things are totally unexpected.
Like Darth Vader here.
Or this sign.
DC with a side of bacon.
Or Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes.
I’m going to be honest and say that you really have to love Buffalo Wings if you are going to love these cupcakes.
The cake is spicy hot from the wing sauce, but cooled from the slightly sweet blue cheese buttercream icing. The Chicken topper is the ultimate crown.
I would serve these cupcakes as part of a chili dinner or anytime you would think to put out a side of cornbread.
If you do not want the icing to melt, be sure to cook your wings ahead of time and allow to cool.
Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes
Ingredients for the cake:
1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s Wing Sauce)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
Ingredients for the blue cheese buttercream icing:
2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Buffalo chicken wings, prepared according to directions, to garnish
Directions to make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat, heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted. Add the blue cheese and stir until blue cheese is melted. Remove from heat and mix in the sugar.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg.
4. Once the hot sauce mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the sour cream mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
5. In another small bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda. Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full (I filled mine to the top and I got 12 cupcakes).
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Directions to make the blue cheese buttercream icing:
1. Mix blue cheese in a stand mixer on high speed until smooth. Add the unsalted butter and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar until fully combined. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
2. Garnish with a Buffalo Chicken Wing.
Makes 10 to 12 cupcakes
Recipe from Cupcake Project
Ready for some new music?
That is never an unexpected question.
New York’s Devin released his debut EP, ‘You’re Mine’, Last November. He’s got a new album, ‘Romancing’, coming out on April 30th.
Energetic, guitar driven, frenetic, loud, Rockabilly punk.
Very cool and highly recommended.
Devin-Black And Blue
Masochist is a single from the upcoming album.