This is one rich cake.
When you have over a pound of butter out on the counter waiting to work itself into a cake….rich is definitely a word that comes to mind.
Chocolate cake sandwiched with a cookie dough filling and cloaked in a thick chocolate glaze….rich, rich, rich. But, oh so good!
There was debate by Ruthanne, whose recipe this is, whether the filling layer was too thick. I went with her advice to use the full quantity. The cake looks quite impressive with that huge dose of cookie dough in the center, but I have to admit that even for a cookie dough freak like myself, it was a touch too much despite being totally delicious.
So here is my advice: Definitely make this cake! I would halve the quantity of filling or else serve the cake in very thin slivers. Cookie dough lovers will adore it.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Layer Cake
Ingredients for cake:
One box chocolate cake mix, plus water, oil and eggs to make according to package directions (Or use your favorite chocolate cake recipe)
Ingredients for filling:
8 oz unsalted butter, softened
8 oz salted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla
1/3 cup flour
12 oz mini chocolate chips
Ingredients for glaze:
6 oz salted butter
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Make cake according to box instructions in two 8 or 9-inch round pans. Cool cakes completely after baking.
2. Place all filling ingredients except mini chips into a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed with mixer until combined. Increase speed to high and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add mini chips (keep about 1/2 of a cup aside to sprinkle on sides and top of cake) and beat to combine.
3. Make glaze by melting butter and chocolate chips together. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Place one cake on serving plate and spread with a little of the glaze. Spoon all of filling on top and spread to the edges of the cake.
5. Place second cake on top and use a knife to smooth edges of filling flat between the two cake layers. Sprinkle edges of filling with some of the reserved chocolate chips. Pour glaze over the top and sprinkle with the rest of the mini chips.
6. Refrigerate cake for a few hours until filling is firm.
Serves 16 (or more!)
Recipe from Easy Baked
Awhile back NYC-based musician Dan Miz sent me this song along with the info that he liked chocolate cake.
The chocolate packed cake is for him and his rich, soulful pop song is for you.