This Bacon-Quest Burger is a monster of a burger. I loved every single, over the top, calorie laden bite. The seasoned patties, cool lettuce, crisp bacon, crunchy corn chips and warm cheese sauce are magic together.
I got the recipe from Rachael Ray who is known for her creative burgers. The comments section (the link is below) for the Bacon-Queso Burger was very entertaining. People get so worked up sometimes.
Queso Sauce (recipe follows)
12 slices smoky bacon
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
3 tablespoons grated onion
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
6 burger or Kaiser rolls or 12 slider rolls, split
Toppings: Chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped white onions, corn chips (such as Fritos) and pickled jalapeño rings.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Arrange the bacon on a slotted broiler pan or a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake bacon until browned and crispy, about 20 minutes, then chop.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the sirloin, onion, Worcestershire, chili powder, salt and pepper. Form 6 burger patties or 12 slider patties that are thinner in the center for even cooking.
5. Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high. Add the canola oil then the patties and cook, turning occasionally, for 7-8 minutes for burgers or 2-3 minutes for sliders.
6. Reheat the queso over medium heat, stirring occasionally until melted.
7. To assemble the burgers, top the bun bottoms with lettuce, tomato and chopped onion. Add the patties, chips, some queso sauce, bacon and jalapeño rings. Set bun tops in place and serve.
Makes 6 burgers or 12 slider size burgers
2 poblano chilies (I substituted 1 (4 oz) can of green chiles and skipped step 1 in the directions)
2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/4 cup whole milk
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 rounded tablespoon yellow mustard
1. Working over a gas burner or under the broiler, char the poblanos, turning often until blackened all over. Transfer to a bowl and cover. Let cool 15 minutes then peel, seed and chop.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring often until softened, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in the cornstarch, then add the milk and cook, stirring often, until it starts to bubble.
4. Add cream cheese and stir until it melts and the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
5. Add the shredded cheese and stir until smooth, about 2 minutes.
6. Stir in the mustard and chopped poblanos (or canned green chiles). Remove pan from heat and reserve.
Recipe slightly adapted from Rachael Ray
After getting a taste of that sick Bacon-Queso Burger, you will definitely want a taste of electric bliss.
Brighton-based band This Party are serving up some old style indie with ‘Taste’. It’s a good old guitar fest.