Hey Dana! Have you seen this hilarious video yet?
Chicken Enchiladas are a staple around my house. There are so many versions out there that they are never boring even if you serve them a couple of times a month.
Today’s Chicken Enchiladas are perfect for entertaining since they can be made ahead and they serve a ton. I love the filling combination of rice, beans and chicken. Cream cheese adds a delectable creaminess and pepper Jack a nice spicy bite.
Do-Ahead Chicken Enchiladas
1 (6.8 oz) box of Spanish rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained
8 oz cream cheese, softened
16 oz pepper Jack cheese, shredded and divided
8 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup cilantro
1 Tbs lime juice
2 Tbs ground cumin
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
16 burrito sized flour tortillas
1 (19oz) can enchilada sauce
Garnish: chopped cilantro and sliced pickled jalapeños
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9 x 13-inch dishes.
2. Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions. Add onion to hot rice.
3. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, beans, cream cheese, 2 cups pepper Jack Cheese, Colby cheese, cilantro, lime juice and cumin. Add chicken, stirring to combine.
4. Spoon 1/2 cup filling into center of each tortilla and roll up tightly.
5. Place enchiladas, seam down, in a single layer in prepared baking dishes.
6. Top with enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining pepper Jack cheese.
7. Bake enchiladas for 35-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeños, if desired.
Note: To make enchiladas ahead, prepare through step 5. Freeze pans in resealable plastic bags. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, top with enchilada sauce and cheese, then bake.
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking With Paula Deen Magazine
I’m grooving to this messy, garage heavy tune from LA-based band The Peach Kings. Slinky and super.
Check out The Peach Kings on the band’s Website where you can buy their music.