It may be June 1st, but sometimes a homey, comforting dinner is just the thing for dinner. This creamy gnocchi dish, packed with mushrooms and spinach, is a one pan wonder.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 (17.5-ounce) package potato gnocchi
1 1/2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425℉.
2. Heat the olive oil in a deep ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
3. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking, 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth until smooth. Bring to a simmer and whisk constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
4. Add the chicken, mushrooms, gnocchi and spinach to the sauce and stir until coated and the spinach wilts. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes.
5. Turn on the broiler. Broil until lightly browned on top, about 3 more minutes.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine
It’s a gloomy, rainy, dark day here. Just right for a song like ’42nd Street’. Soft, slow, then louder and moody. True troubadour.