Happy Mother’s Day to all you mothers out there!
By the time I get this show on the road, it will be well past breakfast time. No worries since these yummy buttermilk pancakes are good any time of day. I love how the little ramekins of blueberry lemon butter dress up the plate.
Buttermilk Pancakes With Blueberry And Lemon Butter
50g unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
confectioners’ sugar, to dust
Blueberry And Lemon Butter (recipe follows)
1. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make a well in center and add both milks and eggs. Whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
2. Heat a griddle over medium heat. Brush with some of the melted butter. Ladle 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on top. Turn and cook for 1 minute longer until golden. Keep warm while preparing remaining pancakes, brushing griddle with more butter between batches.
3. Serve pancakes with a ramekin of butter and a dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
Serves 4 (makes about 12 pancakes)
Blueberry And Lemon Butter
1/4 cup sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
100g unsalted butter, softened
1. Cook berries, sugar and juice in a small pan over low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
2. Increase heat to medium-low and cook for 1 minute longer until the berries just start to burst.
3. Add butter and zest. Remove from heat.
4. Stir to combine, but don’t crush the berries. Pour into 4 ramekins and chill for 2 hours until thick.
Recipes from Delicious Magazine
Seattle-based duo, The Local Strangers, have a new album out titled ‘Take What You Can Carry’. Packed with an eclectic mix of alt-countryish tunes, I am loving it more with every listen. The He/She harmonies are fantastic. There is also a disc full of the songs performed live, acoustically.
Check out The Local Strangers on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming shows in Washington and buy their music.