As a modern era parent, I use my wooden spoons solely to stir up delicious things on the stove. An example is the sausage-olive filling for this easy, tasty, and quick Baked Italian Sausage Sandwich. The bun gets toasted and crisp in the oven while the cheese oozes all over the saucy filling. Yum.
I served everyone their sandwich in its foil packet, which was fun. Onion rings made a great side.
3⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage (hot or mild)
1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
1⁄2 cup sliced pitted black olives
1 red onion, sliced in half rings
1⁄2 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
4 French rolls
4 slices mozzarella cheese, halved lengthwise or 6 oz, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a skillet brown sausage until cooked through, breaking it up. Drain. Stir in the sauce and olives; heat through.
3. Split rolls lengthwise without cutting through opposite side.
4. Place a piece of cheese (or a sprinkling if using shredded) on bottom half of each roll.
5. Divide sausage mixture evenly among the 4 rolls, top with onion, red bell pepper and remaining cheese.
6. Wrap each sandwich in foil and seal. Place on a baking sheet and bake the wrapped sandwiches for about 15 minutes.
7. Unwrap and serve.
Recipe from Food.com
‘After Me’ shouts out “picnic in the sunshine” music. I want to turn to face the sky, crank up the volume and dig into my sandwich. What a great tune.
Check out Misun on Facebook. Their “Feel Better” EP is due out May 29th.