Food is definitely my friend without end. Especially if cheese is involved. And anything remotely Italian.
This cheese packed pie is my friend, but I suppose I should say was since I ate every last bite. It is wonderful hot out of the oven, or served cooled. It reminded me a lot of those Italian Easter Pies that are packed with meat and cheese between thick pizza dough, just a whole lot lighter. (If anyone has a good recipe for one of those, I would love to try it.)
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cubed cooked ham
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup cubed provolone cheese
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Pepper, to taste
Beaten egg, if desired, to brush top of pie
1. Prepare pie crust according to package directions for a ‘2 crust pie’ using 9- inch pie pan. Place oven rack at lowest position.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F.
3. In large bowl, combine eggs, ham, ricotta, mozzarella, provolone, 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan, parsley, oregano and pepper. Mix well.
4. Spoon filling mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust. Seal edges and flute. Cut slits in crust in several places.
5. Brush beaten egg over crust. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking if necessary to prevent excessive browning.
7. Let pie stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Pillsbury Best of the Bake-Off® Cookbook
What a beautiful song this is. Rustic and sparse with gorgeous strings, ‘Sangokaku’ is utterly mesmerizing.