Way to go, Dad.
If ever there were ingredients that were meant for each other, it would be tender leeks, creamy goat’s cheese, crunchy walnuts and refreshing lemon. This is an easy and impressive tart that tastes just as good piping hot out of the oven or cool to take along for a picnic lunch.
Leek, Goat’s Cheese, Walnut And Lemon Tart
1 Tbs olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 medium leeks, sliced
2 Tbs chopped thyme leaves
zest 2 lemons and juice 1 lemon
375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry or 1 of the two in a 490g package
200g soft goat’s cheese
50g walnut pieces
Chopped parsley, to serve
1. Heat oven to 220℃/435℉.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the butter. Once sizzling, add the leeks and cook over medium heat until softened but not colored. Stir in the thyme and half the lemon zest, then increase the heat. Add the lemon juice and cook for about 30 seconds until the lemon juice reduces. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
3. Unroll the pastry and lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Lightly mark a 1cm border around the edges with the tip of a sharp knife, then prick the base all over with a fork.
4. Spread the leeks on top of the pastry, within the border. Crumble over the cheese, scatter with the walnuts, then season with pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil, brushing the edges with a little oil as well.
5. Bake tart for 15-20 minutes until the pastry puffs up around the edges and is golden brown.
6. Scatter some parsley and the remaining lemon zest over the tart. Serve hot, warm or cool.
Serves 4 to 6
Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine
My kids are not big fans of goat’s cheese and one detests nuts (how can that be!), so I also made a 3 cheese (mozzarella, Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar) pepperoni tart which was a big hit.
London based singer-songwriter Dominic Wolf released a new EP this past March. The three track ‘Masks’ contains songs with lovely lyrics and slow builds over interestingly layered instrumentation. I adore “Brother”.
Check out Dominic Wolf on Facebook and Bandcamp, where you can buy his music.