Food & Wine titles this recipe “Rosy Apple Crisp”.
If you remember back in February in this post, I told you that I had just learned that crisps and crumbles were not the same thing.
Crisps do not contain oats. That will explain to you why I changed the title if you were checking the recipe source below.
No matter what it is called, this delectable mixture of apples and raspberries with its sweet crisp topping is sure to please. It’s delicious hot or cold, but I like it warm with a scoop of ice cream melting on top.
One (10-ounce) package frozen raspberries
6 large Golden Delicious apples
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup packed old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Lightly sweetened whipped cream, vanilla frozen yogurt or vanilla ice cream
1. Peel the apples and rub them with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Quarter and core the apples, then slice them crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
2. In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, toss the apples with the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Cover and cook over moderately low heat for 10 minutes. Gently stir the apples, cover and cook for 5 minutes longer. Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the raspberries and remove from the heat.
3. In a large bowl, rub together the oats, sugar, butter and cinnamon.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. Spread the apple mixture in a 9 or 10-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the oat topping over the apple-raspberry mixture and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the oats are toasted and the apples are bubbling around the edges. Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Recipe slightly adapted from Food & Wine Magazine
My rosy tune of the moment is “Actuary” by King Of Prussia. I loved it from the first listen….2 seconds in and I was hooked. It is from the new double album, ‘Zonian Girls…And The Echoes That Surround Us All’ just released on April 8th.
Check out King Of Prussia on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming US tour dates and buy their music.