Brandy and caramel are what elevate this apple pie to superstar status. And a delectable walnut crumb topping…that helps, too! The tart Granny Smiths perfectly balance the sweetness of the other ingredients.
1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust
5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups prepared dulce de leche sauce or caramel sauce
3 tablespoons brandy
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup chilled unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp edges. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
3. In a large bowl, toss apples with 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour and the cinnamon.
4. In a small saucepan, heat dulce de leche sauce over medium heat until warm. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup to apple mixture and toss gently to coat. Stir brandy into remaining sauce and reserve for topping pie.
5. Spoon apple mixture into prepared pie crust.
6. In a medium bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup flour with the brown sugar. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Add walnuts and toss to combine.
7. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over apples, pressing to adhere.
8. Place pie plate on prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 35 to 45 minutes longer or until browned and bubbly. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
9. Serve pie with reserved brandied sauce mixture.
Recipe from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Magazine
Here’s some jangly guitar that is as sweet as caramel.
Check out Beach Youth on Facebook. You can buy ‘Days’ here.