You’ve got to love the name of this man-pleasing pasta dish.
Every time I read that, it cracks me up.
There is no shortage of testosterone in my house. One husband and three sons. Even the cat is male. So Testosteroni Macaroni immediately got my attention when I came across the recipe.
This dinner is the ultimate opposite of heart healthy. But that is what makes it so gooooooooood.
What’s in it?
Bacon, sausage and ground beef. Add to that macaroni in a thick beer-cheese sauce. Top it all off with potato chips, pretzels, and more bacon and cheese. It’s almost like throwing a bunch of game day favorites together in one dish.
Bonus: You get a decent work out hefting that thousand pound pan in and out of the oven.
1 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
12 oz beer (or 2 cups of milk)
1 lb macaroni
1 lb bacon
1 lb bulk sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
1 lb ground beef
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup pretzels, crushed
1 cup potato chips, crushed
Dash of cayenne pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente. (about 6 minutes)
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, let cool then crumble. Set aside.
3. Add the sausage and ground beef to the skillet and cook in the bacon drippings until no longer pink and cooked through. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil. Stir in flour until blended. Pour in the Beer and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute to thicken, then stir in 1 cup each of the cheddar and mozzarella. Add cayenne.
5. Reserve 1/2 cup bacon. Stir the remaining bacon, along with the sausage-ground beef mixture, into the beer cheese sauce. Stir in the macaroni and mix well. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
6. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheeses, the crushed chips and pretzels, and the reserved bacon.
7. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350℉ oven for 45 minutes or until golden, bubbly and heated through.
Recipe from Oh Bite It!
FOTC have the perfect song to go along with Testosteroni Macaroni.
Check out Flight Of The Conchords on their Website, where you can buy the music and other cool merch.
You have made some wonderful food-musical matches, but this is by far THE BEST!!!!!!
It was, by far, the first tune to come to mind!