Q: What do you call a vegan post-punk band?
A: Soy Division.
“When routine bites hard,
And ambitions are low,
And resentment rides high,
But emotions won’t grow,
And we’re changing our ways…”
Then let’s make some Risotto-Style Barley.
Just like the title implies, pearl barley gets the risotto treatment in this wonderful, warm you to the core dish. Packed with kale, leeks and plenty of Parmesan, it’s full of flavor. I love how the goat cheese melts into the steaming risotto. Really good.
4 cups vegetable stock or water
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, trimmed and finely chopped
2 medium leeks, sliced
1/3 pound kale (I used baby kale which reduces the prep time)
1 1/2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sliced goat cheese for garnishing each bowl
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Olive oil to drizzle
1. Heat the stock or water in a medium sauce pan and simmer over low heat.
2. In a large saucepan, heat half of the butter and 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened.
3. Add the barley and stir for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Gradually add a ladleful of the stock and stir until absorbed. Repeat until the barley is al dente, about 20 – 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until tender.
5. In a medium saucepan, heat some water over medium heat and add the kale. Simmer until the kale is slightly wilted. Drain.
6. When the barley is done, stir in the leeks and kale and grated Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve in bowls, topped with a few slices of goat cheese.
Recipe from Lisa’s Kitchen
There is always some good new music happening in Scotland.
Quiet As A Mouse has a new single ‘Casketcase’ being released on February 17th.
Cool band, cool song title and the coolest guitars around.
Check out Quiet As A Mouse on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming gigs in Glasgow and Edinburgh and buy their music.