I have no idea what to make of this video.
At least it had Taco Pie in it, right?
There are lots more of these things out there. This one has a musician.
You can tell I couldn’t think of a single thing to say today.
I have plenty to say about this Taco Pie, though. It is full of all of the flavors that make tacos so delicious, baked up in a corn flavored crust. The avocado purée is soooo good. Pile on the garnishes and you have heaven on a plate.
Ingredients for the crust:
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups masa hrina
1 tsp salt
Ingredients for the filling:
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 cup refried beans (I used the whole 16 oz can)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 lb ground beef
1 Tbs chili powder
Ingredients for avocado purée: (I doubled the ingredients because I love guacomole)
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tsp lime juice
1 clove garlic
Ingredients to garnish:
Shredded Romaine lettuce
salsa or pico de gallo
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. For the crust, cook all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking until very thick about 3 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then press into a greased cast iron skillet pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. For the filling, cook garlic powder, cumin, oregano and coriander in 1 Tbs olive oil in a nonstick skillet until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add beans and cook for 1 minute. Spread mixture over the bottom of cooked crust.
4. Wipe out skillet and sauté the ground beef until cooked through. Add remaining filling ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Spread mixture over refried bean layer. Transfer to oven to keep warm while making avocado purée.
5. Process all avocado purée ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spread over pie.
6. Garnish pie and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from Cuisine At Home Magazine
How about some dreamy, hazy pop from San Fran Band Papercuts? I love the singer’s breathy voice and those swirling guitars.
Papercuts-Do You Really Wanna Know
Check out Papercuts on Myspace, Facebook and on Sub Pop Records. Buy their music there and here.
I am one of those nuts who loves ATHF, and have watched it and discussed it with my 26 YO son. DO I always GET it? NO.
But the taco pie. That looks like something I’d “get” every time. I wonder what the cal count is….lol.
I try never to think about those pesty cal counts…as I double the avocado…
Delicious! Thanks for having us for dinner while we were “in the neighborhood”. And thanks for putting us up for the night! Miss your delicious cooking! This one is a winner.
It was so good to see you both! xxoo