The (only) problem with a mini vacation is that re-entry to real life is so hard. I’m just back after a few days away and trying hard to make the transition from the dazzling sun of Key West to the grey, damp of this Monday morning in Vermont. At least the snow is almost melted.
Melted snow means spring and barbecue and delicious things to come, like s’mores. To get an early s’mores fix try these cupcakes. They have a chocolate chip-graham crust that is so good. Mmmm. Oh, and did I mention the marshmallow buttercream….more Mmmmm.
Graham crust ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper liners.
2. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Spoon 1 tablespoon of graham cracker mix into the bottom of each muffin cup. Press crumbs firmly, using the bottom of a small glass. Save the remaining mixture for topping. Top graham cracker mix with several bittersweet chocolate chips.
3. Bake graham mixture for about five minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
5. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
6. Add flour mixture to large bowl and beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Sprinkle batter with small amount of remaining graham cracker mixture.
7. Bake 25 minutes. Cool completely, then frost.
Cupcake recipe from Domestic Pursuits
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
1 container (16 oz) Marshmallow Fluff
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus additional sugar, if necessary
1. Spoon the Marshmallow Fluff into a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low.
2. Gradually add the butter pieces, beating well after each addition, until smooth.
3. Add the vanilla extract and the confectioner’s sugar. Scrape the bowl well to incorporate. Add more confectioner’s sugar, if necessary, to adjust the texture.
Pipe onto cupcakes and, if you like, decorate with chopped chocolate bars and graham cracker crumbs.
Frosting recipe from Hello, Cupcake!
Note: I tried to blow torch the marshmallow buttercream like I saw in some images around the internet to get the toasted look…doesn’t work here. You know, I should have known that butter really does not want to be torched. It really did not like it. (Must be some other recipe for meringue icing or the like that holds up to the torch heat.)
Yields 30 cupcakes
We’ll definitely go for More music for this S’more Monday.
Here’s some Sunday Monday More.
Does anyone else love The Office as much as I do? I’m equally crazy about the British and American versions. Did you know that before he was David Brent (way before), Ricky Gervais was part of the duo Seona Dancing? Definitely my kind of 80s pop.
Here’s a song from David Brent.
And one from Seona Dancing.
Seona Dancing-More To Lose