This is a very impressive cake. Even better, this is a breathtakingly easy cake to make. Even better, there are so many options. You can use any flavor cake and frosting that you like. You can even ditch the fruit and fill the top with M & Ms or your candy of choice.
I can never think of Kit Kats again without thinking of Andy Bernard.
For my Kit Kat Kake, I decided to go with a Chocolate Praline Cake filled with Vanilla Buttercream Icing and frosted with Chocolate Buttercream. I’ll include the recipes for the cake and the icings after the basic Kit Kat Kake recipe in case you want to try the version that I made. And I went with the berries on top so it would make the cake really healthy. Ha!
Kit Kat Kake
1 pkg chocolate cake mix
1 can chocolate frosting
11 Kit Kat candy bars (1 1/2 oz each)
2 lbs strawberries
1 pint blueberries
1 pint raspberries
2 Tbs apricot preserves, warmed
Mint leaves for garnish
1. Prepare cake according to pkg directions using 2 greased 9 inch round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
2. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
3. Separate candy bars and lightly press into sides of cake.
4. Arrange berries on top; brush with preserves and garnish with mint.
Chocolate Praline Cake
8 Tbs butter, cut up
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 pkg (18.25 oz) devil’s food cake with pudding
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 325℉. Set aside two 9 inch round cake pans.
2. Place butter, cream and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the butter is melted, 3 minutes. Pour the mixture evenly into the cake pans and sprinkle with the pecans. Set the pans aside.
3. Place cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat two minutes longer on medium speed. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, pouring it over the pecan mixture.
4. Bake the cakes about 35 minutes until a tester comes clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert onto a rack to cool, praline side up.
Cake and Chocolate Icing recipes adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 Tbs whipping cream
1. In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, cream together sugar and butter on low speed. Mix until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for desired spreading/piping consistency.
Chocolate Buttercream Icing
8 Tbs butter, softened
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1. Place butter and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer for 3o seconds.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1/3 cup milk, and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes until icing lightens and is fluffy. Add more milk if the icing is too thick.
Another tune for Andy.
Noisettes-Never Forget You