My son, who turned 10 yesterday, requested a cheesecake birthday cake. I knew exactly the recipe I wanted to try. Being that I have a thing for completely artificial coloring in my desserts (and pancakes), I figured a Rainbow Cheesecake would go over well.
Damn, this cheesecake was cracking good. Really.
I followed the instructions in this recipe, but to no avail. To tell you the truth, I’ve tried water baths and all other manners of crack reduction techniques. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don’t.
1 1/2 cups graham crackers, crushed
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbs vanilla
1/4 cup flour
Food coloring gels. I used blue, pink, green, orange and purple
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees℉ (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Add sour cream, vanilla and flour and blend until smooth.*
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. (Really???? That cracks me up. Obviously, it didn’t work in my little ole oven. It was worth a try, though.)
5. Chill in refrigerator until serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from Carrie’s Cooking And Recipes (Crack up was totally my addition.)
Maybe my singing cracked the cheesecake up. Maybe it was the songs.
This song always cracks me up. I especially love watching it sung on the HBO series.
Flight Of The Conchords-Business Time
I always laugh when I hear this song. I hate everything to do with flying. You might remember my little rant.
The Wiyos-Airline Baggage Handlers Suck
There are so many funny songs out there, but I have to go grocery shopping so will stop here.
John Hadfield-Robot Monkey Head
*note: recipe was updated to include the rainbow coloring instructions.