Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
8 Tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, quartered
For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 Tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 Tbs vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 Tbs heavy cream
Oreo cookie crumbs
24 Oreo cookie halves
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners.
2. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. Combine cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract.
2. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium-low speed then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.
Adapted from: Annie’s Eats
I brought these cupcakes to school for my son’s fourth grade class and the kids couldn’t get over the Oreo on the bottom. Huge hit.
Musically speaking, there are a number of sweet songs that will make you swoon while baking these. I decided that OreO makes me think of OhiO. Yes, Ohio it is. That is one of the perks in being the boss of one’s own blog. OhiO, OhiO, OhiO.
High Violet by The National was one of my favorite albums of 2010. Matt Berninger’s voice is as brooding and engaging as ever. The drumming seems to lift out of the rest of the music. Melancholy never sounded so good.
Lambchop is a band from Nashville whose music is filled with soft sarcasm and mischief. Hmmm….maybe I need to think of a playful and funny lamb recipe for a future post so I can play more of their stuff.
The Winks’ song is just plain fun. Like Oreo Cupcakes.
The National-Bloodbuzz Ohio