I saw this recipe all around my social media feeds in March when everyone started staying at home and baking a lot.
Two ingredient bagels! No yeast! No boiling!
I finally got a chance to try the recipe out for myself. I started making the bagels at 6:30 am and just after 7 am my family got to dig in. So quick, so easy and so good.
My kids remarked that it took a few bites to get used to a subtle sweetness in the bagels (no doubt from the yogurt), but we all gave them a thumbs up.
Two Ingredient Bagels
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 cup self rising flour
1 large egg
pinch of fine sea salt
1 teaspoon water
Everything bagel seasoning mix, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc
1. Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and yogurt. Knead the dough until it is smooth.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each portion of dough into a ball. Use your thumbs to make a hole in the center of each ball. (I rolled my dough into a log and then joined into a bagel shape so they are kind of misshapen. Forming the ball and then poking a hole will make a more traditional looking bagel.)
4. Arrange the bagels on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Mix together an egg wash by whisking the egg, salt, and water in a small bowl until smooth. Brush the egg wash over the bagels. Sprinkle desired toppings over bagels.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, until browned.
Makes 4 (doubles easily)
Recipe slightly adapted from Kirbie’s Cravings
“Everything And Nothing”, new from California-based band The Cry, is all the retro goodness I’m craving. It deserves a great big exclamation point…just like the bagels.