My friend says to me: “What rhymes with orange” I said: “No it doesn’t”
This is such an easy and delicious dessert. Three types of berries under a crunchy, buttery topping make for a cozy, comforting end to a meal. There is a hint of balsamic in the berry mixture which gives it a perfect flavor boost. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for maximum wow.
Cast Iron Berry Crisp
Ingredients for the berries:
3 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups fresh raspberries
3 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup flour
Grated zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
Ingredients for the topping:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
4 oz cold unsalted butter, cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 375℉. Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and set aside.
2. To prepare berries, in a mixing bowl, combine the berries, granulated sugar, flour, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar. Pour into the prepared skillet.
3. To make the topping, in another mixing bowl, mix both sugars, the flour, oats, cinnamon and salt. Mix in the butter until coarse crumbs form.
4. Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over the top of the berries.
5. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, crisp and bubbling, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 to 8
Recipe from Food Network
Let’s dance off the berries with this throw back to the age of polyester. Imagine a glittering disco ball and leisure suited peeps shaking it out on a crowded dance floor.
“One And Only Lover” is the brand new song from Sweetwood, a brand-new project of Amsterdam-based writers/producers collective Voice Calling Radio.