I really love Beef Stroganoff. I thought this recipe for Tofu Stroganoff was intriguing and certainly a lighter option to try. The result was a tasty dinner with subtle flavor kicks from the sherry and pickled onions.
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon paprika
1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1⁄4 cup dry sherry
2 cups vegetable stock
12 pickled onions, halved
1 clove garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons sour cream, plus extra to garnish
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Prepared quinoa, to serve
1. Combine the flour and paprika in a plastic bag and season with salt and pepper. Add the tofu and shake to coat.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add 2 tablespoons of the sherry and cook for 30 seconds, then transfer tofu to a bowl.
4. Pour 1 cup of the stock into the pan drippings and bring to a boil. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
5. Return the tofu to the pan with the remaining sherry and stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through and the sauce has thickened.
6. Remove from the heat and whisk a little of the sauce into the sour cream until smooth and of pouring consistency. Add back to the pan and stir to combine.
7. Serve stroganoff over quinoa with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped chives
Recipe from Bowl Food
‘Terribly True’, new from Deanna Petcoff, gives me chills. Her voice sounds so sad and the anguish of the lyrics really resonates.
Check out Deanna Petcoff on Facebook where you can keep tuned for where to buy her music.