If you are looking for a fun and absolutely delicious meal to serve for dinner (besides some popsicles), look no further than this combo of Coconut Chicken Tenders, Corn Pudding And Parmesan Roasted Asparagus. The crunchy chicken, soft cheesy corn and crisp asparagus offer the perfect contrasts on one plate.
Coconut Chicken Tenders
Peanut oil for frying
2 lbs chicken tenders
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup orange juice
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1 egg, beaten
1½ cups panko bread crumbs
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1. On a cookie sheet, season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix orange juice, condensed milk, and egg until well combined. In another bowl, mix coconut and panko crumbs.
3. Heat 3 inches of peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
4. Dip and fully coat each tender in the egg mixture first and then the panko/coconut mix.
5. Fry each tender for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer the cooked chicken to a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil.
Serves 4 to 6
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 (14.5 oz) can cream-style corn
1 cup milk
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs granulated sugar
1 (8.5 ounce) box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and sauté for 5 minutes, just until the onions have softened. Turn off the heat.
3. Add the corn kernels, cream-style corn, milk, cream cheese, and sugar, stirring until well combined. Mix in the eggs one at a time, followed by the muffin mix, stirring until the batter is smooth. Stir in the shredded cheese.
4. Pour the corn mixture into the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the center is firm.
Note: To make ahead: This dish can be prepared one day in advance. Store in refrigerator. When ready to cook, cover the corn pudding with foil and bake at 350℉ for 20 minutes until warmed through.
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons extra=virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
1/2 lemon plus more cut wedges, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450℉.
2. Place asparagus in a single layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 10 minutes, until tender.
4. Sprinkle spears with the Parmesan and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipes from Savory Sweet Life: 100 Simply Delicious Recipes for Every Family Occasion by Alice Currah
Some gentle music from brothers Jacob and Rory Green aka JR Green will surely bring a perfect meal the sounds it needs.
Check out JR Green on the band’s Website where you can learn of upcoming gigs in Scotland and buy their music.