Colorful and packed with flavor and texture, these Beef Tostadas with Beans & Pickled Veggies are a nice change-up from tacos. Pickling the vegetables only takes 10 minutes so they are ready to go once the beef is browned and seasoned.
Beef Tostadas with Beans & Pickled Veggies
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper
8 radishes, sliced
2 carrots, grated
1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup sour cream
8 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas, toasted or ready-made tostadas
1 cup crumbled queso fresco
1. In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, sugar and 3/4 tsp salt over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. In a bowl, combine the carrots, radishes and cabbage. Pour the hot liquid on top and toss well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
3. In a skillet, brown the beef over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes. Add the coriander and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add the beans and 1/2 cup water to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, scraping up browned bits, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat then add sour cream. Mash the mixture with a potato masher. Season to taste with salt.
5. Spread the beans onto the tostadas. Top with the beef, pickled vegetables and cheese.
Recipe from Every Day With Rachael Ray
1980s’ band 1000 Mexicans are back at it with some new releases in the past few years. (No word on whether their current wardrobe is lame).
“Elephant Days”, from 2015, delivers the right dose of Brit-retro sound.
Check out 1000 Mexicans on the band’s Website where you can link to buy their music.