My youngest son recently played Mr. Mayor in the middle school production of Seussical. I signed up to make some cookies for the cast party and hoped to bake something Dr. Seuss themed.
A Google search for “Dr. Seuss Cookies” turned up some really pretty rainbow cookies. (Far less daunting than the loads of beautiful cookies with intricate royal icing images on them.) A further Google inquiry “How to make rainbow swirl cookies?” turned up a page for ‘Make Unicorn Poop Cookies’.
Turns out the colors and technique are almost identical.
So there you go…2 themed recipes in one. Just choose your title.
The cookies turned out really nicely. I used refrigerated sugar cookie dough which was super easy to work with. My cookies baked up a little flat probably because the dough was warm from all of that handling. Next time I will refrigerate the cookies (after step 7 below) for an hour before baking.
Dr. Seuss Rainbow Cookies (or Unicorn Poop Cookies)
1 roll (16.5 oz) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
Food coloring (I used pink, blue, green, purple and yellow. You can use any colors that you like.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Divide the dough evenly into five portions and set each onto waxed paper. Color each of the dough portions a different color using the food coloring. (It’s a lot less messy if you use latex gloves to keep your hands free of food coloring).
3. Roll each of the colored portions of dough into 14 grape-sized balls.
4. Take a ball of each color and quickly roll into a larger ball. It will resemble a little beachball.
5. Roll the multicolored ball between your hands and the counter into a cylinder-snake approximately 6 inches long. (I found I got a more even cylinder if I used only one hand to roll).
6. Start from one end of the snakelike cylinder and form the dough into a coil.
7. Roll the edges of the cookie in the nonpareils.
8. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes until golden.
Makes 14 cookies
I also made a few cookies with a nod to The Cat In The Hat’s chapeau. I thought they were pretty cute.
Red and white swirls are also fun.
Recipe from I Love Yummy Recipes
As much as I like unicorns, I am no fan of poop whether it be in emoji or cookie form. So Seussical it is, for the music to go with the cookies.
“Oh, The Thinks You Can Think!” always makes me smile but no more than the memory of a bunch of children I know singing it with all their hearts.
Check out EARTHCHA2014 on Soundcloud.