A request from today’s band for noodle stir fry resulted in this fantastic recipe for Spicy Pan-Fried Noodles. It’s laced with a sesame-soy sauce that coats the noodles perfectly thanks to some eggs added while stir-frying. Lots of edamame and peanuts add wonderful contrasting texture. Heat up the spice as needed with more sriracha.
Spicy Pan-Fried Noodles
1 cup thinly sliced green onions both white and green parts)
3 tablespoons soy sauce, more to taste
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons rice wine or sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
6 ounces Chinese egg noodles, soba noodles or rice noodles
2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil, more as needed
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 large eggs, beaten with a fork
2 cups baby spinach or 1/2 cup thawed edamame (I used edamame)
1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce, or to taste
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons sesame seeds and/or chopped roasted peanuts, optional
1. In a small bowl, combine the green onions, soy sauce, ginger, rice wine, and sesame oil. Set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook noodles until they are halfway done according to package instructions. Drain and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the vegetable oil to keep them from sticking.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add half of the green onion mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. Add noodles and stir-fry until the noodles are hot and lightly coated with sauce, about 30 seconds. Add eggs, spinach or edamame, sriracha, and remaining green onion mixture and continue to stir-fry until the eggs are cooked, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
5. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Garnish with cilantro, sesame seeds and peanuts.
Serves 2 (doubles easily)
Recipe slightly adapted from NY Times
‘Take Me Home’, new from Carla Sariñana’s Silver Rose project, shimmers right from the start. The silky vocals glide over the solid wall of sound and the sweet, catchy lyrics are infectious.
“Give me peace of mind
take my heart with you”