Tomato soup is one of my favorites. If you search ISITK for ‘tomato soup’ at least 8 posts come up.
Today’s tomato soup gets some added depth from roasting the tomatoes with garlic and onions. Cream and butter give it richness and some basil heightens all of the flavors.
Grilled cheese is a natural accompaniment to tomato soup. Add some apples and bacon and you’ve got one hearty, delicious sandwich.
Roasted Tomato Soup
2 1/2 pounds assorted tomatoes (heirloom, vine and plum)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, for garnish (optional)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
6 cloves garlic
2 small onions, sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 quart chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 450℉.
2. Core and halve the tomatoes (leave the cherry tomatoes whole). Place in a roasting pan and drizzle with the 1/2 cup olive oil. Add the garlic and onions to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the tomatoes are caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Remove the roasted tomatoes, garlic and onions from the oven and transfer to a large stockpot (set aside the cherry tomatoes for garnish). Add 3 cups chicken stock, the bay leaves and butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the liquid is reduced by one-third, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
4. Add the basil to the pot. Use an immersion blender or food processor to purée the soup until smooth. Reduce the heat to low, add the heavy cream and adjust the consistency to your liking with the remaining 1 cup chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide soup among bowls and top with the roasted cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine
Apple And Bacon Grilled Cheese
8 slices country white bread
8 slices cheddar cheese
4 slices cooked bacon
1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
1. Spread mustard on 4 slices of bread. Top each with 2 slices cheddar cheese, 1 slice of bacon cut in half and some sliced Granny Smith apple. Top with 4 more slices bread.
2.Butter the sandwiches, then cook in a skillet over medium-low heat until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, about 3 minutes per side.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine
A hot bowl of tomato soup will make any cold winter day feel like a sunny day.
‘Sunny Day’ is from Norwegian band Sauropods’s debut album “Roaring At The Storm”. It’s a messy, energetic gem of a tune.