The classic combination of tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich comes together in this comfy casserole. It reminds me of the sauce and cheese heroes that you could order at my local childhood pizzeria. Lots of cheese melting into a thick tomato sauce sandwiched between soft bread.
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Bake
3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
12 slices Italian, sourdough or rye bread (1/2 inch thick)
6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-3/4 cups 2% milk
2 large eggs
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend or part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and 1 teaspoon basil until blended; spread onto six bread slices. Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining bread.
3. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter and arrange in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
4. In a small saucepan, combine tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining basil. Cook, stirring, over medium heat 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
5. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in a third of the milk mixture. Stir in remaining milk mixture then pour over sandwiches. Sprinkle with Italian cheese blend.
6. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Taste of Home Magazine
This is a little different than my usual music pick, but there is something about the sadness in Jayy Jay’s voice that draws me in.