Did you hear about the two guys who stole a calendar?
They both got six months.
Banoffee Pie to be precise.
This recipe for Banoffee Pie is very similar to ones I have shared before. (Here and Here). What is different is that the really easy homemade dulche de leche worked perfectly this time. There is also some grated chocolate on top. Bonus.
Graham Pie Crust (recipe follows)
4 oz unsalted butter
1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 pint heavy cream
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and melt over low heat.
2. Add the condensed milk and bring the mixture to a boil for a few minutes, stirring continuously. The filling should darken slightly.
3. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Cool and chill for at least one hour until the caramel is firm.
4. Remove tart from the pan and carefully transfer to a serving plate. Slice the bananas and place them in a single layer on top of the caramel.
5. Whip the cream and spoon it over the toffee and bananas, sealing the filling in. Sprinkle the top of the pie with grated chocolate.
Graham Pie Crust
4 oz unsalted butter, melted
10 oz digestive biscuits or graham crackers, crushed in food processor
1. Mix together the melted butter and cracker crumbs.
2. Press mixture into a 9-inch diameter tart base with a removable bottom. Use a spoon to smooth bottom and press mixture up the sides of the tart pan.
3. Chill the crust in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Recipes from Saveur
I’m loving this retro sounding, soulful tune from London-based band Amber Leaves.
Check out Amber Leaves on Facebook where you can keep tuned for updates on where to buy their music.