Here is a grown-up take on Rice Krispie Treats. A layer of thick, bittersweet chocolate ganache that has been flavored with coffee liqueur and espresso sits between crispy chocolate squares. Super delicious. The Kahlúa is very subtle so the treats are a hit with kids, too.
Chocolate Krispie Treats With Kahlúa Espresso Ganache
1/4 lb marshmallows (15 large marshmallows or 2 cups small)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups Rice Krispies
Kahlúa Espresso Ganache (recipe follows)
1. Spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with non stick spray or line with non-stick foil leaving a bit of an overhang.
2. Melt marshmallows and butter with sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a 3 quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and gently stir in the cereal.
4. Press krispie mixture into prepared pan with dampened fingers. Cool about 20 minutes then cut sheet in half.
5. Spread some ganache on one of the half sheets. Top with other half. Cut into bite sized squares.
6. Reheat ganache gently to loosen and drizzle on top of the squares.
7. Let squares stand until set, about 15 minutes.
Kahlúa Espresso Ganache
8 0z fine quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Kahlúa or other coffee flavored liqueur
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1. Melt chocolate with cream, liqueur, and espresso powder in a metal bowl set over simmering water, whisking occasionally until smooth, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until thickened, about 2 hours.
Recipes from Gourmet Magazine
A little ska, a lot messy guitar. You are going to want lots of ‘Sex’ because it is awesome. Listen away here. (Only reason I linked the video off the page is it was a bit much for a blog that features food. I couldn’t find ‘Sex’ in an audio format.)
Here is another song by The Sneaky Nixons that is also supremely good and easily available to share from Soundcloud.
Check out The Sneaky Nixons on Facebook. You can buy the music here.