The Brunch Burger, named for its bacon and egg morning toppings and English muffin bun, is as welcome on a dinner plate as it is the morning after a big night on the town. Well seasoned beef-pork patties are layered with crisp, caramelized bacon, sharp cheddar and a fried egg. Hints of maple syrup and mustard round out this flavor fest.
12 slices peppered bacon
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
3/4 pound ground beef
3/4 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 thick slices sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons softened butter
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
4 English muffins, toasted
1. Arrange a rack in the center of the oven.
2. Preheat oven to 375℉.
3. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
4. Place the bacon slices on a cutting board. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Press the brown sugar mixture onto 1 side of the bacon. Transfer the bacon to the wire rack, brown-sugar side up. Bake until crispy, about 30 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork and seasonings. Form into 4 patties, making each one thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking.
5. In a skillet or griddle pan, heat the oil over medium-high. Cook the patties, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes for medium.
6. Top each patty with 1 slice of cheese during the last minute of cooking. Transfer the patties to a plate, then cook the eggs over easy.
7. In a small bowl, mix the butter, remaining tablespoon of maple syrup and the mustard.
8. Spread the maple-mustard butter on the toasted English muffins.
9. Divide the patties among the muffin bottoms. Top with the bacon, eggs and muffin tops.
Recipe from Every Day With Rachel Ray Magazine
I know that Emily and Steve from Mahoney & The Moment are sandwich fans. (See this post from 2013 for a great Ploughman’s sandwich paired with their music.)
So, when I saw that Mahoney & The Moment had a new tune out, I thought they might enjoy today’s robust burgerwich.
“Goodnight Moon” is yet another beautifully crafted song by this wicked talented duo. Lovely orchestration and Steve’s soft harmonies weave along with Emily’s delicate vocals.
Check out Mahoney & The Moment on the band’s Website where you can buy their music. They have 2 shows coming up: Sunday 7pm, 8th November, Old Queens Head, London and
Saturday 5pm, 28th November, Rockwood Music Hall, New York.