Did you know that McGinn’s Pistachio Tree Ranch in New Mexico is home to the world’s largest inedible pistachio? Interesting, right?
Up the interesting ante at dinnertime with this unusual menu. Spiced lamb patties are topped with a cool tzatziki sauce peppered with pistachios and feta. The giardiniera, spooned atop crunchy romaine, makes for a really different flavor contrast.
Lamb Patties With Pistachio Tzatziki
2 pounds ground lamb
1/4 cup red wine
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Greek
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground allspice
Olive oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Pistachio Tzatziki (recipe follows)
Grilled or toasted pita or naan, chopped romaine hearts and drained, chopped giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables), for serving
1. In a bowl, combine the lamb, wine, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, allspice and a drizzle of oil. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Form into 8 small patties.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb patties and cook, turning once, until browned, 6 to 7 minutes for medium.
3. Serve the lamb patties with the pita, lettuce, vegetables and tzatziki.
1/3 cup shelled natural pistachios
1/2 seedless English cucumber, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup parsley leaves
2 Tbs roughly chopped dill
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 ounce feta, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
1 small lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1. In a small skillet, toast the pistachios over medium heat until fragrant and browned, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. Transfer pistachios to a food processor and pulse to a coarse dust. Transfer to a small bowl.
3. In a strainer, salt the cucumber. Let drain 15 minutes, then pat dry.
4. In the food processor, finely chop the mint, parsley and dill. Add the cucumber, yogurt, feta, lemon juice, garlic and cumin. Process into a chunky sauce. Season with salt and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in the pistachios.
Recipes from Every Day With Rachael Ray Magazine
Philadelphia-based Heyward Howkins, he of the beautifully distinctive voice, has a new double a-side single out. Both tunes are excellent, but I am swooning over ‘Forecast’.
Check out Heyward Howkins on the Website. You can buy the music on Bandcamp.