This is definitely not your average pie.
Over the top?
A flaky crust is filled with a nut-studded, buttery, blondie mixture which gets capped with a sweet, cheesecake-like topping. A little goes a long way, so serve in thin slices unlike my hefty slabs!
Ingredients for pie crust:
1⅓ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup chilled vegetable shortening
¼ cup ice cold water
Ingredients for filling:
1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
½ cup chopped pecans (or mini chocolate chips if nuts are not your thing)
½ cup butter, melted
Ingredients for topping:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Use a pastry cutter to combine the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water and knead dough until it comes together. The dough should be dry, but not crumbly. If it is too sticky add an extra tablespoon of flour at a time until the dough reaches the proper consistency.
3. Form the dough into a flat circle. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out using a rolling pin until it’s about 10 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough in a deep dish pie plate, pinching the edges to form a crust. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cake mix, pecans, egg and butter until combined. Press evenly into the crust. Set aside.
5. In the same bowl (no need to wash it), beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add both eggs and continue mixing, scraping the sides down, until mixture is smooth. Turn mixer to low and slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar. Once it’s all added turn mixer to medium and beat until creamy. Pour topping over the filling.
6. Bake the pie for 55 to 60 minutes until the top is golden brown. The center will be slightly loose, but it will set up as the pie cools. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves a lot
Recipe from Cookies And Cups
Calming River, aka British songwriter Joshua Brain, has a new EP coming out this October. The music, like the name, is peaceful and soothing.
Check out Calming River on his Website, where you can learn of upcoming shows in Denmark and link to buy the music.