In Friday’s post for Ranch Style Brisket With Beans I promised to share the yummy recipe for Easy Skillet Mexican Cornbread that I served alongside.
Here it is.
Easy Skillet Mexican Cornbread
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 boxes cornbread mix (such as Jiffy)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
Butter, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Pour oil into a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven while it preheats.
3. Combine the corn bread mix, eggs, buttermilk, chiles and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir just to combine.
4. When the oven temperature reaches 375°F (about 10 minutes after turning oven on to preheat) carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Pour the batter into the skillet. Return the skillet to the oven immediately. Keep oven set at 450°F.
5. Bake the cornbread until it is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and run a knife around edge of skillet to loosen the bread. Invert the cornbread onto a plate. Invert the bread again on a cutting board so that it is right side up.
6. Slice the cornbread into wedges while hot and serve with butter.
Recipe from The Dinner Doctor by Anne Byrn
This new slice of gypsy folk from Herbert Bail Orchestra is downright awesome. Stay still. I bet you can’t!