These vegetable packed Sloppy Joes won’t make you miss the meat. Crunchy carrot and celery team up with crumbled tofu in a chile-spiced tomato sauce. Seasoned Tater Tots are an irresistible side.
1 pound frozen Tater Tots
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
14 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
2/3 cup ketchup (I would use a little less next time. Taste after Step 4 and see what you think.)
1/3 cup chili sauce (such as Heinz)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 hamburger buns, split
4 slices white cheddar cheese
Bread and butter pickle slices, for topping
1. Preheat the oven and bake the Tater Tots as the label directs. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, crumble the tofu on a paper towel lined plate. Mix the ketchup and chili sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
4. Add the tofu, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the ketchup sauce and 1/3 cup water; simmer until thickened, 2 minutes.
5. Place the bottom buns on a baking sheet. Top with the tofu mixture, the remaining ketchup sauce and the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, 3 minutes. Add the pickles and top buns. Serve with the Tater Tots.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine
Be still those eighties guitars! I mean, no… go on and rock those guitars.
Oxford-based band Zurich have a new single ‘Alone’ released ahead of their debut EP ‘Small Wars’. Being especially fond of that post-punk, electro sounding pop from way back when, I am really enjoying this tune.
“When we collide we fall apart
And the memories, they’re just breaking me down”
Check out Zurich on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming tour dates in the UK and buy their music.