Jamie Oliver calls this Pregnant Pasta since it is a dish his wife Jools craved while she was expecting.
Nobody here is expecting anything but a good meal and this pasta fits the bill.
It’s rich with flavor from the sausage and fennel. I love how everything gets minced up in the food processor. It couldn’t be easier.
4 green onions
1 stalk celery
2 fresh red chiles (remove seeds for a less spicy dish)
6 mild Italian sausages, casings removed
1 tsp fennel seeds
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 lb penne
4 Tbs balsamic vinegar
400g can diced tomatoes
A few leaves of basil
Parmesan, to serve
1. Roughly chop all of the vegetables, then pulse in the food processor with the chili peppers.
2. Add the sausages, fennel seeds, garlic and oregano. Keep pulsing until well mixed.
3. Spoon sausage mixture into a hot frying pan lightly greased with olive oil. Cook, stirring, until sausage is cooked through.
4. Cook penne according to packet instructions. Drain and reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
5. Stir the balsamic vinegar and tomatoes into the sausage mixture. Add a little of the pasta cooking water to loosen if needed.
6. Add pasta to the sauce and gently stir, adding more cooking water to get the consistency you like. Taste, correct seasoning, and serve with the Parmesan and a few basil leaves.
Recipe from Jamie Oliver
Sydney-based Callum Chynoweth Band has a new single out titled ‘Hope You Know’. It’s absolutely indie-licious.
Check out Callum Chynoweth Band on Facebook, where you can link to buy the music.