This salad was described as “sumptuous”. That is not one of my regular food adjectives, but it quite nicely sums up this rich, luxurious, and splendid salad. (Splendid also is not a usual for me, but it came up as a sumptuous synonym.)
600g brie, rind peeled and discarded, softened (You might want to microwave the brie for a few seconds so that it whips easier.)
85g stoned dates, cut into small pieces (I used dried dates, which were delicious here.)
120g bag rocket (arugula)
100g shop-bought croûtons, crumbled
Candied Walnuts (recipe follows)
Walnut Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 190℃/375℉.
2. Put the softened brie inside in a medium bowl. Using a spoon, small whisk or mixer, whip the brie until pale and spoonable.
3. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, dates and rocket, then mix with some of the dressing.
4. Place a spoonful of whipped Brie in the middle of each serving plate and arrange the salad around it. Scatter over the croutons, drizzle with a little extra dressing and serve.
100g walnut halves
25g caster sugar
1. In a small bowl, stir the walnut halves with 2 tablespoons of water. Drain water, add sugar and toss to coat.
2. Spread walnuts over a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 mins until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
6 Tbs walnut oil
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1. Whisk the oil and vinegar together. Season with salt and pepper
Recipes from BBC Good Food Magazine
I love this catchy tune from Reptile Youth.