What? Are we 12?
That’s what you get for hanging around with me.
But, you also get some pretty good recipes like this one for Bloody Mary Mussels.
If you love Bloody Marys and keep asking yourself why you don’t make mussels more often, well then, here you go.
So simple to put together, so delicious and the perfect way to turn a weeknight meal into a culinary delight.
1kg of mussels, cleaned and debearded
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot horseradish sauce
1 small dried chilli, crushed
3 stalks of celery , finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tbs port
1/4 cup vodka
1 lemon, juiced
Bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Soak mussels in a large bowl of water for an hour. Drain. If any mussels are not closed, throw them away.
2. Mix together the salsa, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, chilli, garlic and celery. Stir in the port, vodka and lemon juice. Season with freshly ground pepper and some salt.
3. Put mussels into a large pan and add the bloody Mary mixture. Stir, then cover with a lid and set over medium heat.
4. Leave the mussels to steam for about 3-4 minutes.
5. When the mussels have opened, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon. Any mussels that did not open during the cooking process should be thrown away.
6. Leave the tomato sauce to boil over high heat until thickened and slightly reduced. Pour the sauce over the mussels and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
7. Serve in big soup bowls with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Recipe slightly adapted from Meals In Minutes by Jamie Oliver
So this song was in my inbox yesterday and in your ears today. LOVE it!
Of course, ever since The Rebel Light got on my radar last summer they have made it to most playlists I have made and every mixtape, too. These guys just have such a great sound and super catchy tunes.
Enter ‘Strangers’. More of the same, yet still irresistible. How can you not sing along with those “Ba ba ba ba ba ba bas”?
Check out The Rebel Light on the band’s Website (worth the visit just to see the guys decked out in Hawaiian shirts having a grand ole time). You can buy their music by naming your price on Bandcamp.