You’ll have your family giving you high fives after you serve them this yummy casserole. A traditional beef casserole gets a touch of southwestern flair with the addition of chiles, cumin, beans and Monterey Jack. Unlike the southwest casseroles I usually make with tortillas, this one has rice as a refreshing change.
Southwestern Layered Beef Casserole
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
1 (10-ounce) can Ro-tel Tomatoes & Green Chilies
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped fine
1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed
6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
3 green onions, sliced thin
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350℉. Grease 8-inch square baking dish.
2. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer rice to prepared dish. Stir tomatoes and their juice, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into rice.
3. Add beef, onion, bell pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet and cook over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, garlic, cumin, and coriander and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
4. Add beef mixture to baking dish and spread evenly over rice. Layer beans, then Monterey Jack, and finally corn over beef.
5. Grease aluminum foil (or use the non-stick kind) and cover dish tightly with foil. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 60-70 minutes.
6. Remove foil, sprinkle with green onions, and let stand for 10 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8
Recipe from Cook’s Country Magazine
‘Black Country’, new from Shropshire-based band Young Braves, is a solid indie rocking tune that’s the star of my Saturday.
Check out Young Braves on Facebook and Soundcloud, where you can download their songs for free.